Monday, February 14, 2011

This is your Captain speaking

A conversation in part between our correspondent The Captain and yours truly, Isaw Isonn:

RE your midgets are growing. This might surprise you… did you know I saw Fugazi play live in Croydon in 1991? I don’t have many memories of the gig, but I was there. It was loud. It was full of passion. It was impressive. I was there.


Whaaaaaaat?!! BV is gunna love that story.

I might see if I can google a poster of the show. It'll be out there

EV's? Wow!! That almost tops Pavement at EV's and definitely tops Tumbleweed...

Sorry I didnt get to meet up the other day.
I wont have my bike back come Wednesday but if you are free'
we could meet up in the middle.

It actually wasn’t at EV’s (although they did play there in 1993). It was at… you’re not going to believe this… the Croydon soccer club clubrooms, near the corner of Mt Dandenong Rd and Norton Rd. I know it sounds incredibly unlikely… but I’m 99% sure I’m not making this up. The clubrooms were a short lived “yoof” venue known as The Hole. At the time Fugazi were playing only all ages shows (I’m not sure if they kept on doing this) and I went along as part of a short lived hardcore phase!
By the way, saw some old crew last weekend. I told them you were living in Toorak, making a packet from running a recording studio and last time I saw you you were snorting coke off a mirror in the toilets at Revolver.
Wednesday sounds good. I can ride to you if you’re bike-less. Let me know on Wed morning where & when you want to meet.


PS
Pavilion, not the clubrooms, as such.
It’s true. I swear. 99% sure.


Your story is checking out so far

Well well well, Nursery Crimes were the main support.

Nursery Crimes included member James McInnes, none other than my high school
guitar teacher whom infamously fell asleep during my practical exam. That's right. I had my head tucked over the ridge of my Maton and was busting out the solo to 'right on the tip of tongue' when I felt lukewarm coffee dripping onto my thigh.

Like a pro I wrapped up the solo and bought it home with a resounding chorus, looked up to find James sounds asleep facedown in a puddle of Nescafe.

Upon finsishing, I politely tapped him on the cheek and told him I was done.

Great...sounds great pal. Sorry mate....had a gig last night, said James.

The year...1991. I wonder if it was the same show...?

…and if you want proof that I was at the aforementioned show, have a look at the kid stage diving at the 36 second mark… and again at 2:22 and 2:40. Is that not a 21-year-old Captain?

No comments:

Post a Comment